Dangerous Dog Treats

Hypnotic DogIt’s the beginning of a bang em’ up holiday week. The Fourth Of July – just in case you didn’t know.  A time for family fun, food and dog treats.

As far as I can see, it’s going to be a problematic week at best, or at least that’s the way it is starting out.

First of all my therapist call yesterday and cancelled my appointment on Wednesday. Some vague excuse about being on vacation and the long holiday weekend. Right, so now I’m stuck for eleven days without having anyone to bark my problems to.

I was snooping around Mom’s desk this morning (teach her to put a cushy easy chair at the end of her desk) and found sticky notes about Titan’s yearly checkup, Titan’s shots, Titan’s grooming and Coco’s overnight visit. Okay, Coco’s visits are always fun, but the rest, I don’t think so. I tried to scrunch them up and push them into the trash can, but that didn’t work out so well.  Do you have any clue how hard it is to get a sticky note off you paws? Nope, I’m definitely not in charge of this long holiday weekend.

I did get a fun new present from Dad last Friday. A bird feeder and seed, for outside the window in Mom’s office. I wonder how many times I will scare the seed right out of those birds by charging the window from that chair.  The birds haven’t found the feeder yet. Seriously how dumb are they – a built in buffet hanging out in plain sight, and they are still pecking around the back yard for food.

shopping cartNow that we are talking about food, I think it is time to talk about dangerous dog treats. The majority of pet parents will entertaining this week, or at least barbecuing a time or two. When there are family and friends in the house or yard, it is really easy to score one, two or even three dog treats. Granted, what pooch does not love getting treats now and then. Multiply the people, multiply the treats. You can tell I have really thought about this and put the pencil to paper.

There are so many dog treats available these days that come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and consistencies, how do you know what is good or bad. For every great dog treat, there are those on the market that are not so good.

These treats can harm your pet by being lodged in your dog’s throat or intestines. This can cause choking or worse. If you love treating your fur-child, then you will want to be aware of those treats that can be potentially harmful. Even with treats that are not usually dangerous, you need to supervise your dog when they eat.

I’m a passive eater. I like to make a sport of eating. You know, tossing bits and pieces in the air, dropping them into my water bowl to see if they can swim and my personal favorite, running off with my food and stashing it all over the house – for a rainy day. Of course all of those activities keep me in trouble most of the time.

When cousin Coco is here, I can get a bit aggressive. I mean, it is count the kibbles in each bowl time, making sure there is an even amount.

Here is the low down on dog treats;

Greenies: Most dogs really enjoy these treats. They are advertised as a treats that help clean your dog’s teeth and freshen their breath. . However, you need to be aware that “greenies” can cause choking. This is because we eat these very quickly causing large chunks to lodge in our throats. I can’t tell you how many “greenie” chunks I had to yak up before Mom and Dad figured that out. It’s a miracle I’m still alive.

Young puppies should not eat this treat at all and dogs that are prone to ‘scarfing” food should find a better treat. If your dog eats these treats, be aware of potential vomiting, bloody stools, and difficulty breathing.  If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog has eaten a “greenie” treat, seek medical attention right away!

Rawhide Chews: What dog does not love snacking on these chewy treats? Rawhides are good because it cleans your dog’s teeth and keeps your dog occupied – right? However, rawhides can be dangerous. Rawhides that originate outside of the United States may actually be preserved with arsenic-based chemicals that will be ingested by your doggie when he or she chews.  For this reason, make certain that any rawhide treat you purchase is processed in the United States where this preservative is forbidden.  If you cannot tell where a treat originated do not buy it! In addition, you still need to watch your dog when he or she is munching on rawhides to help prevent choking. Make sure you buy rawhides that are the right size for your dog, too. A small dog needs the smaller sized rawhide treats. Be careful with those cute rawhide shoes with the red lacing. Those red jobbies can cause all kinds of problems in the tummy.

Now it’s on to the people food issue. First and foremost, using people food for treats can cause unexpected weight gain. Heaven knows I also had heart attack last week when I jumped on the scale in the kitchen. I don’t remember seeing those numbers the last time I looked.

Chocolate: Chocolate is a terrible thing to allow dogs to eat. Of course, we love chocolate and sometimes we can get into candy and cake without your knowledge. Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats, so you need to be aware of your dog sneaking chocolate nibbles, especially around the holidays. Chocolate contains an ingredient called Theo Bromine. This acts about the same way caffeine acts in humans.  A little will make hyperactive, but a huge dose could be fatal. If your dog has gotten into chocolate, you need to look for vomiting, shallow breathing, and irregular heartbeat. You must get your dog to your regular vet or an emergency vet right away. Try my recipe for a safe chocolate treat.

Bones: I’m not a bone kind of doggie. I love to dig holes in the back yard (more about that later in the week) but I never bury anything in them.

It seems that it is the right of every dog to be able to crunch on a real bone from time to time. Dogs love bones of all types. However, some bones can be dangerous.

Both chicken and turkey bones are especially dangerous because they are brittle. When your dog chews on the, they can easily splinter and cause choking. Some pork and beef bones can also cause the same problem.

Veterinarians agree that the one of the safest bones you can give your dog is a shinbone.  If you must give your dog a bone, make sure you supervise your pooch and if he or she shows signs of bleeding, then you should call your vet immediately for some advice.

This is not to say that you cannot give your dog an occasional treat. After all, that is one of the fun parts of owning us. Always pay attention to what kind of treat you give us and keep the bags just in case there is a recall on the product. You will findmore information on pet product recalls here or you can clink on the tab above.

 

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge